Thursday, February 17, 2011

ch-ch-ch-chia!

I little while ago, I noticed chia seeds popping up on various health blogs and recipes.  Folks talked about what an amazing superfood they were which really piqued the interest of this nutrition nerd. But, at the time I was having a hard time making it to the grocery store more often than once a month, searching for these crazy seeds just didn't stay on my mind for very long. Cut to the beginning of this year when my renewed commitment to overall health combined with my newfound love of creating meals at home and chia seeds were brought to the forefront once again. I did a little research and after reading all the amazing things these little babies are proven to do, knew that they must become a staple in my household. I hopped on over to my fav marketplace and ordered my very own bag of miracle seeds.

oh no, she didn't.

Oh yes, I did. Yes, these are the same chia seeds that grow into lovable pets, and no, they will not sprout and grow in your stomach. You know what they will do? Umm, the question may be, what can they not do? 

First up, they're high in protein and fiber, which keeps you full longer and aids digestion. American diets are generally low in fiber because grains that are naturally high in fiber are stripped of this essential nutrient during the process of making them look and taste "better" (ie, white rice, pasta made from white flour, most cereals). So if you're not consciously trying to add fiber to your diet, you're probably not getting enough.

These sneaky little devils are also great for helping you stay on track if you're making an effort to eat healthier. They expand and form a gel when combined with water or stomach juices, which helps stabilize blood sugar. Usually, around mid-morning, I find myself suddenly feeling weak and reaching for something sweet, like a piece of chocolate. Same thing happens a few hours after lunch. That drop in blood sugar makes me think I need a sugar fix instead of filling up on something nutritious. But since I've been adding chia seeds to my breakfast smoothie, no more blood sugar drops! It's pretty amazing actually. The other day I realized I hadn't had any my daily allotment of Dove dark chocolates. I had not even noticed that I didn't crave something sweet all day. I thought it was a fluke, but two weeks later I realized those little seeds may be doing something after all. For me, quick results from something so simple makes me want to hand out chia seeds to everyone I know. That gel also aids in hydration to which is helpful if you work out a lot, or if you just exist in the South during the summer. It also helps you absorb the nutrients from all those healthy foods Dr. Oz is telling you to eat.

Last but not least, these little babies are chock full of omega-3's. You know about omega-3's, right? They do all sorts of awesome things like improve circulation, reduce blood pressure, fight cancer, help prevent heart disease, reduce inflammation (inflammation causes all sorts of problems like arthritis, cystitis, anything else that ends in -itis), support brain function (even the brain of your baby if you're pregnant or nursing) and have been shown to help kids and adults with ADD and ADHD. Up till now, I thought I needed to eat salmon for breakfast, lunch and dinner or choke down fish oil supplements to get my dose of omegas (not happening). Chia seeds have no taste, no prep work--just sprinkle them on whatever you're eating-- and you only need a tablespoon per day, so for me, getting my daily dose is beyond easy. Oh and if you're like me, you're probably thinking that something this amazing must be super expensive, right? Nope. Two pounds for under $13. That's a lotta chia. But, they have an amazing shelf-life, so you can keep them till you use them up or dole them out to your friends and make believers out of them as well. So go. Get some chia seeds. You'll thank me.

image found here

No comments:

Post a Comment